Re: NTLK HOW: NCU failing with error -43

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 15:36:05 CDT

"Jason M. Smith" wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Laurent Daudelin wrote:
>
> > Based on what you're saying about where the error occurs, it looks like
> > it's a communication problem, not a data corruption one. Sometimes, if
> > the information you're tryin g to back up are corrupted on your Newton,
> > you will get those -1 errors, and the error will always pop up at the
> > same place. Doesn't seem to be your case, though.
>
> Ok, those I've seen as well (it's been a while), and as I recall,
> it was in my System data during Backup. I unselected that for Backup, and
> it continued just fine.
>
> Any idea how to stomp *that* little problem?

You mean, your system data? One way would be to see if you could browse
the entries in your system soup with SBM Utilities. However, that might
be well unpracticable, because of the number of entries that might be
there. Remember that most applications will store some sort of
preferences in the system soup, and will leave them there even if you
later remove the application. After a while, if you try many
applications, you come up with a clobbered system soup, often leading to
corruption, as it seems to be your case.

The only real way of dealing with the problem is to do a full backup.
Beware of incremental backups, they often fails, and based on what
you're saying when you say "I unselected ..." leads me to believe that
you're doing incremental backups. There have been many stories of people
doing incremental backups only to find that the backup was corrupted and
unusable when they most needed it. To make sure that you're doing a full
backup, remove any backup file in the backup folder in the NCU folder,
before launching NCU. When you start a backup this way, you don't have
any choice of selecting something or not; everything is backed up, even
the packages.

So, you need to perform a full backup, do a hard reset, and then restore
but without the system soup (information). It's at the restore that you
can select what you want to restore and what you don't want.

Restoring without the system soup will loose all those preferences you
set in the packages you're using. In addition, you might have to enter
the registration codes you got for the applications you bought. You will
also loose your handwriting recognition preferences. So, it's a bit
annoying to set all those preferences again, but you gain a wealthy,
slim system soup in return, which I think is a good thing to have from
time to time...

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin Developer, Adaptive Infrastructure, CIS
Fannie Mae Washington, DC, USA
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com