NTLK HOW: NCU failing with error -43

From: Jason M. Smith (smithja@cs.unc.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 08:33:53 CDT

        Hey all, I've got a serious problem here... I can't use NCU
to backup my Newton 2000x or synch with Palm Desktop. Both are
rather critical for me. :)

        Setup:

        Newton -> Ethernet AppleTalk -> Hub -> Ethernet AppleTalk ->
B/W G3 (MacOS 8.6)

        NCU 1.0 (not beta)

        I initiate the connection from the Newton, then select
Synchronize or Backup on either the MP or the MacOS host.

        Both fail with the message "The connection stopped because
your MacOS computer disconnected." on the MP when the action is
initiated on the MP or the MacOS host.

        Additionally, when an action is started from the MacOS host,
I get: "Could not complete the Backup because an error has occurred
(-43)." Note that it says Backup regardless of whether I select
Backup or Synchronize. This message does not occur if I initiate the
process from the MP.

        One thing I haven't tried is a direct Ethernet connection.

        Am I just out of luck here?

        Oh, one other thing that's bothering me - when I attempt to
alter the prefs for NCU (Edit -> Preferences...), I get an error
dialog stating: "Could not complete the Preferences... command
because file not found." *Very* helpful. NCU Prefs is indeed in my
Preferences folder in the System Folder.

        If anyone can help with either of these problems, you'll have
my undying gratitude.

--
Jason Smith						353 Sitterson Hall
smithja@cs.unc.edu					    (919) 962-1821