NTLK Re: Free internet providers, dialup numbers

From: CM Stimpson (macheel@dialfree.net)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 06:27:35 CDT

on 9/4/00 2:53 PM, charles mangin at newton@option8.com wrote:

> hey folks -
>
> i've been pretty busy lately, so my newton website -
> http://www.newtontraveler.com - hasn't been updated in a while.
>
> but now, i have a little more time on my hands, and i'm wondering
> what kinds of things you folks might like to see. for instance, i'm
> working on a few more newton books to go in the books section, as
> well as some more lists of dialup access numbers for various ISPs
>
> i wonder if anyone can suggest some additional ISPs, especially
> _free_ internet access providers, that work with Newton to list. the
> one free service i have there, freewwweb, is no longer in service, or
> has been taken over by Juno, which doesn't work without their
> software (or so i've heard)
>
> also, if anyone has contributions or links to other sites that have
> useful information for the newton user on the go, i'll be glad to
> include them. my hope is to have a site that's useful to as many
> people as possible, so any contributions or comments are welcome.

You're right about freewwweb closing its doors and forcing users to either
hit the road, or sign up w/Juno....

which isn't available for the Newton, or the Mac, for that matter.

I was one of the many freewwweb users who got the shaft, have switched to
dialfree.net since that time, and have been rather satisfied.

It charges 19.95 a month to your credit card, but through a partnership w/
http://www.rhinopoint.com, if you complete 1 survey a month, your credit
card is re-credited for the 19.95, thus making dialfree FREE.

Their are a decent # of dialup numbers throughout the country (other
countries?), but nowhere near the # that freewwweb had at this
point.....though the number is steadily growing, however.

Except for the once a month survey (which is web-based -- you only receive
an email notice once a month reminding you to go to rhinopoint's website),
there are no other restrictions or requirements at all -- there's no limits
to time on the internet like with freewwweb, and no homepage requirements.

NO AD BANNERS, either!

The service has been quite speedy since I signed up.

I regularly connect at 46600 or greater, and online speed is probably
greater than that.

Only downside right now to that service, I'd say, is the limited dialup
numbers.

There are places I regularly travel to where I could use freewwweb....and
now, dialfree won't reach those locations.

Oh well, if all you guys would sign up, they might have some additional
numbers available.

:-)

CM

--
The box said "Windows 95 or better" so I bought a Macintosh.