NTLK Re: new batteries into an old pack

From: Gruendel, Frank 3837 PPE-WT (Frank.Gruendel@de.heidelberg.com)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 04:36:54 CDT

>Now that I have them, I have searched the battery FAQ's mentioned in
previo=
>us list mails to check compatibility, but cannot find anything that tells =
>me I can use Ni-MH batteries to replace the original Ni-Cad battery pack.

This is, well, kind of a philosophical question. Here are 3 facts...

1) NiMH batts have a different charge curve than NiCad batts
2) Your Newton's charge circuitry was designed to charge NiCad batts
3) Several people on this list have reported that they use NiMH batts
   without any problem in a 130

My personal opinion is that this will work for a long time. You won't get as
much capacity out of the NiMH's as you could if they were charged according
to specification, but you get still way more out of them than out of
NiCad's.

Frank