Re: NTLK Why not Newton emulator?

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 00:00:06 CDT

On 9/1/00 7:19 PM, John Mark Davis [mailto:backlot@swbell.net] wrote:

>Just curious. I frequent http://www.emulation.net/ which contains various
>emulators that run on the Mac of every conceivable platform.
>
>Why isn't there a Newton emulator? I'm really surprised about this. I
>mean, there's one for the Palm.
>--
>John Mark Davis
>backlot@swbell.net

Several reasons I can think of:

1) No internal documentation from Apple needed to create such a beast
although Paul Guyot, as well as Kip at NewtPrism are really delving into
the Newton guts and bring a lot of info to light. The Palm emulator now
in use is FROM Palm (although I think it was originally written outside
of Palm).
2) WHICH Newton and OS?
3) Not as easy as you might think
4) Legal issues (which a LOT of the other emulators have too)

Several people have tried, and failed or stalled.

I wouldn't hold my breath (although I'd love to see someone prove me
wrong!)

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = GOT A NEWTON QUESTION? Visit: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/