NTLK LINUX router

From: Marco Mailand (mmailand@newted.dyndns.org)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2000 - 09:35:20 EDT

Dear LINUX gurus,
meanwhile I got a Debian LINUX installed to get my Newton and my home
Ethernet online. The LINUX is running on an old Mac IIcx (68020 /w
co-processor). I can use my analog modem and establish a PPP connection to
my ISP too, but there are a couple of questions. I would greatly appreciate
help from anyone who successfully dealt with this matter:

1. Can I create a bridge from my local home ethernet to my PPP-ISP
connection? Do I need to assign IP numbers to all network members or can I
have a sort of DHCP or dynamic IP numbering from the LINUX machine? Now the
LINUX gets the IP-No dynamically from the ISP.

2. How can I modify/expand my LINUX PPP configuration to automatically
dial-in and hang-up the connection if not longer used? The normally used PON
and POFF commands are rather manual and not very useful for a server
machine. Is it possible at all?

3. If I start the FTP client on my Debian-LINUX the DIR command seems to
crash the program. I get "200 Port command successful" and the cursor jumps
to the next line and remains blinking but that's it. There's not much more
and any input is not recognized by FTP. How can I safely kill e.g. the FTP
program w/o restarting the whole computer (is there any key-combo?).

4. Is there a good URL to a description of basic LINUX commands or is it
completly compatible with UNIX?

5. How can I get packages onto my LINUX? For now do I copy them (e.g.
Base2_1.tgz) to the MacOS partition. Then do I mount this partition within
LINUX but from that moment the MacOS is quit and all Macs/Newtons in the
Network can not longer access this harddisc.

6. At shutdown -h now of the LINUX I can not get back to the MacOS. Is that
normal or is my set-up faulty?

Sorry for the off-topic post but many thanks in advance for any helpful
hint.

--
Best regards! / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand http://www.dplanet.ch/users/roleto/welcome.html

****************************************** This NewtonTalk Message brought to you by:

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the Internet. Visit EVOTE.COM for all the latest news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!