Re: NTLK What format of flash ram card?

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 23:39:16 EDT

On 4/22/2000 7:56 PM, Lucas Mak [mailto:lucasmak@hotmail.com] wrote:

>Hi, all,
>
>Right now, I want to buy a card reader for the flash ram card, could anybody
>tell me what format is the ram card.

Don't waste your time or money - the Newton's memory card can't be read
on your PC or Mac in a PCMCIA card slot or reader. You can't read or
write data to a Newton memory card directly from a PC or Mac PCMCIA card
slot or reader. Only the Newton can read or write programs or data to
it's own PCMCIA cards directly.

>I found most of the card reader has only PC driver, and I don't know if the
>card reader can read the ram card for newton.

Nope, it can't, in either a PC or Mac (or anything else except a Newton).
 They MAY or may not be able to reformat them (depends on the card vendor
and computer).

>I want to have flash reader card reader, because I found that the newton
>always has problem with the flash ram card. Or, some package cause the
>newton hang up while the card is mounting. The only way for me to solve the
>problem is that I send the card to pretec in Taiwan to ask them to format
>it, then I reinstall the package.

I'm afraid that won't work. What package is causing the problem? Some
packages may not work on older or newer versions of the NewtonOS than
they were designed for.

To force a Newton to reformat a card, eject the card, open the Extras
drawer, open the "Prefs" icon and insert the card. The Newton should
try to reformat the card.

If THAT doesn't work, the card is probably damaged or dead. If you DO
have access to a PC with a PCMCIA slot or reader, you could try
reformatting it there, maybe, and THEN try to reformat it again in the
Newton. That may fix it. (I don't think Macs will reformat a linear
flash RAM card - mine doesn't seem to anyway).

Describe your problem's symptoms, error messages, etc, here. Be detailed
as to the messages, steps you take, programs involved, Newton and desktop
computer model, etc.

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = GOT A NEWTON QUESTION? Visit: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!