NTLK Reinterating : COLOR Newton screens

From: joe (coatlicue@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2000 - 16:29:00 EDT

>On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 2:28 PM, Humphreys, David
><mailto:david.humphreys@honeywell.com> wrote:
>> A grayscale image contains only luminance information and so a color
>image
>> cannot be constructed from the information.
>>
>> Simply put, certain color values will have the same luminance value and
>> therefore will be impossible to map back to the original color because
>that information is missing.

I think the question would be, does the Newton retain this color info in
the first place. If it just discards it, then it's a hopeless cause. If, on
the other hand, it retains it, but the display just doesn't display it,
then it should be theoretically possible, right? For instance, if you have
a greyscale monitor set up on your computer. Is it not receiving both
signals, but just ignoring the chromo? Not that I hold much hope of this
happening (I do own a 130) but am curious. :-)

-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland
<mailto:jonglass@usa.net>
<mailto:glasshaus5@aol.com>

I think you have a point John.
David, have you experimented with a color screen and found it is impossible?
I mean, of course 98% of Newt applications cannot be viewed in RGB color, because they werent made to be.

But what about those that were (SketchMail, NPDS, etc.)?
They obviously utilize "Chominance" (color of pixel) values and not just luminance (brightness of pixel).

I understand that "greyscale" images cannot be viewed in color. But my point is if a low power color screen were inserted in the Newton 2.1's, and applications such as the above, were created to be viewed in FULL COLOR on a Newton, would we or would we not have COLOR NEWTONS!?

Thanks,
Joe

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!