Re: NTLK email for OMP Running Newton OS 1.1 / original message pad

From: Steve Weyer (sweyer@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 07:46:46 EDT

>Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 21:30:51 -0700
>From: <csmith@lawschoolhelp.com>
>Subject: email for OMP Running Newton OS 1.1
>Does anyone know of an email program that will run on an Original MessagePad
>with Newton OS 1.1?
>
>I've tried using E-notes but have had no luck. I can get it to connect to
>my server but then it just sits there and says "Sending Mail" or "Receiving
>Mail" and nothing happens. I tried e-mailing E-notes but I got a "message
>undeliverable" response.

>Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 20:03:27 +1000
>From: Paul Miller <ppjm@bigpond.com>
>Subject: original message pad
>
>i have been given an original message pad and would like any assistance in
>finding software that i can use to dial up and check e-mail.
>
>i have a hayes pcmcia modem that the message pad recognises. i just can't
>figure out hoe i enter my isp and settings.

no POP/SMTP solutions.

there are fewer 1.x options these days. for a few possibilities,
see the links at the end of Simon Bell's SimpleMail page:
  http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town/road/aah66/

eWorld worked great but was discontinued early on by Apple;
Aloha used to work until AOL changed their protocol again;
CIS Retriever may work with Compuserve accounts
GoFetch, eNotes should work with "shell" access to other accounts

or use a terminal emulator; besides PocketCall that Simon mentions, there's
NewtTerm:
  http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/9987/

Steve
weyer@kagi.com
NewtDevEnv, Newt's Cape, Sloup, Crypto,...
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~sweyer/newton/index.htm
http://www.kagi.com/weyer

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!