RE: NTLK Re: Pretec memory card problem

From: Jon Shurtleff (jon.shurtleff@munich.netsurf.de)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 01:22:16 EDT

Linear flash in the PCMCIA seems to be going out of style? The only other
device that I know of that uses PCMCIA linear flash are Cisco routers and
they've moved on to 'Fast flash' or Cardbus which aren't compatible with the
Newton. So it's possible that the prices are escalating due to diminishing
demand? The latest routers we've bought have cards that come from a company
called Smart Technologies or something like that. I wonder if they also
sell Newton compatible cards.

In any case, Pretec is about a mile from where I used to live in Fremont, CA
and I can confirm that they are a very small operation operating out of
offices in a small industrial park there, one of the many, many, many small
independent Pacific Rim firms operating in that region surrounding Silicon
Valley. They say they have an offsite 'warehouse' in addition to the
offices. Don't know what that consists of. I've bought two cards from them
on a will call basis at their office and generally had to wait half a day to
a day until they recieved the goods from the 'warehouse' and had them ready
for pickup. I haven't had any problems, fortunately, but I was not
particularly impressed by their offices or how they seemed to do business.
Presumably most of their business is in large orders or they couldn't
survive. So they're not necessarily well organized for individual orders
but still the office seemed to be quite chaotic.

Jon.