Re: NTLK Wireless Networking

From: gopi@sloth.org
Date: Sun Apr 09 2000 - 12:50:37 EDT

On Sat, 8 Apr 2000, negril wrote:

> FWIW. I have been using the Proxim Symphony wireless PC card in my 2100 for
> a few months now, and I am very pleased with the performance and utility. I
> use it in conjunction with the wireless bridge connected to a DSL Modem
> whose services are shared among other computers connected both wired and
> wirelessly. I use the RangeLAN driver that is posted on Newton Cage.
> It is of great joy to roam freely and get the type of throughput on
> Ethernet/Internet based activities (Mail, News, Web, Sync) I am observing.
> I have tried various cell phone and wired solutions in the past with poor
> satisfaction.

The only problem here is that these cards are propreitary, and
incompatible with IEEE 802.11 stuff such as Lucent's WaveLAN and Apple's
AirPort. There appears to be no Mac support either.

Hopefully if I can figure out why the WaveLAN card behaves weirdly, I will
get my drivers happy. So far it can successfully reset the card, read the
status until it confirms that it was reset, and then clear the status
register. Now, why some of the registers are not at the places they are
supposed to be...that is my next challenge....

gopi.

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!