Re: NTLK Novatel Merlin Update #3 (Success!)

From: David Arnold (arnold@dstc.edu.au)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 03:33:15 EDT

-->"Jeremy" == Jeremy Bond Shepherd <jbond@netcom.com> writes:

  Jeremy> I am going to do some more experimenting this weekend to
  Jeremy> determine battery consumption, reliability in a moving
  Jeremy> vehicle, and general long-term stability and usefulness, but
  Jeremy> so far I give this device a definite "thumbs up." It has the
  Jeremy> potential to be the best, most usable wireless option for
  Jeremy> the Newton platform.

the peak power consumption worries me a little: 850mA. acording to
the InterConnect port specs, the total 5v power budget is 500mA and
that is shared by the PC Cards and the power out via the InterConnect.

i recall that the Proxim wireless cards were touted at the time
the drivers were promised because they had low power consumption.

does anyone (Dave?) know what could happen if this budget is
overdrawn?

(this has always been my reservation about the WaveLAN cards. i'd
love wireless ip, but not at the cost of a smoking newt).

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!