RE: NTLK The Newton's successor?

From: Jon Shurtleff (jon.shurtleff@munich.netsurf.de)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 05:12:07 EST

Umm yes, I am aware that if it were an iron from Radio Shack or something
like that that this might be a problem but this is not a hobby iron. It's
grounded and temperature controlled from a well known manufacturer. They're
not that expensive anymore. Alright, by the time I bought the fine tip it
may have been $30. Besides with this kind of soldering it's more about
technique that equipment. If you're only in contact with the component for
a fraction of a second with a pretinned lead then it doesn't matter that
much what the temperature of the iron is. If you're dwelling on it, of
course it does. As I've suggested before when this has come up, use
wire-wrap wire NOT the lacquer insulated stuff that PIX sends with the
board. On the pads of the accelerator board itself you don't to be that
careful. Cut the leads to length. Strip the ends and do those first. Then
mount the board and coat the ends of the wire with solder. They're already
silver plated so this is easy. Then just tack them to the components with
the iron with the wire between the iron and the component. This takes some
practice but you can get a very good joint this way by only touching the
component very briefly. That means, of course, that you have to practice on
something else before you try it on your Newt! I'm not suggesting that this
should be done by the average hobbyist. Experience is important!

Jon.