NTLK Re: Newton successor?

From: Bill Moser (guillermo1967@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 18:39:55 EST

Well...the reason I posted this is that the iPaq pics really made me start.
It LOOKS like a Newton with a color screen. I've always felt that the
PDA-as-laptop-replacement was a really good notion, and the MP2k (ok, 2100)
was a good attempt, but a lot of opportunities were missed by the Newton's
early demise.

I should add that I'm OS-agnostic at this point. For the last few years, NOS
2.1 has held the lead, while Palm OS has never tried to match it and Windows
CE has done the usual MS thing of stinking less and less...now, it finally
looks like there's something on the horizon that one could legitimately
"up"grade to instead of down. Kind of depends how well MS implemented the
new OS, but it's worth looking at.

Later
Bill M.

>Well, the iPaq is a desktop device...

>Nope - different iPaq. This is the "iPaq Pocket PC" (it wasn't good
enough to rip off Apple's name and concept, now they have to rip off the
Newton too. And I'm already mad at Compaq for how they are screwing up
royally with the OpenVMS operating system and Alpha processors they got
when they bought Digital Equipment Corp.)

>And there are already numerous ARM-type CPUs used by various CE devices.

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!