Re: NTLK revert to previous system?

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot@pnm-consulting.com)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 05:36:54 EST

>>> is it possible to revert to the System OS that my 2100 shipped with? i'm
>>> not having problems with Paul's update but i just want to play =)
>>
>> My guess is that you can remove Paul's system update with a brain wipe,
>> Paul ?
>>

>nope.. neither leaving the batteries out for an extended period. older
>machines, you could remove an internal battery, no?
>
>the 2x00's have a super capacitor instead.. (?) wouldn't that run out of
>charge at some point..
>
>or is the ROM set for life, until someone would write an upgrader that
>downgraded...

Oops.
Well, here is the story:

On all newts, the system update is on the internal store (first blocks).
But on MP1xx, the technology of this memory is just RAM plus battery. Hence
removing all batteries clears the memory totally. (there is a capacitor to
prevent a format for quick removal). On MP2x00, the technology is Flash.
Removing batteries won't empty it.

The system update is made of two codes: a string (717260, 710031) and a
numeric code. The current software to install system updates (i.e. the
software into the package) uses this code to determine the version. So does
some softwares internal to the system. However, I do have currently one
with a low code which works properly.

There are three methods to revert to a previous system update:
(a) use a special package that removes the current one, and install a new one.
(b) install a system update with a lower code, and install over it the new one.
(c) install a modified system update which installs whatever the code is.

But why do you want to revert exactly?

Regards,

Paul

----
P&M Consulting Newton Program
http://www.pnm-consulting.com/newton/

****************************************** This NewtonTalk Message brought to you by:

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the Internet. Visit EVOTE.COM for all the latest news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!