NTLK RE: Brad Smith

From: Tom Law (tomlaw@inav.net)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 10:44:26 EST

Brad,

I would be willing to give programming a try. I also am a programmer
by trade and a Newtonite by love, but willing to start newtonscript.

I haven't programmed in C++, but have in C, and most lately in Perl using
objects. That is my background in a nutshell.

I have a PC at work and 3 Macs at home. Let me know what or where I can
help and I will buy the necessary tools. My email address is above.

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Bradley Smith wrote:

> Woah! Hold your horses guys, and *definately* don't start sending me money
> (Clinton, Gary)! ;)
>
> The PDA market is in a bit of a state at the moment and it's not clear if
> any of the current big players (Palm, Psion and MS) will fall by the
> wayside. I've been reading up on the new technologies and basically I'm not

[snip]

> As we have Mac, Linux and PC users here it doesn't seem to make sense for me
> to concentrate my efforts on Wintel Outlook. Instead I'd like to take a more
> generic approach to the issue and help provide something we can all use. It
> does mean that the end result won't in the form "click the synch button and
> away it goes" but it will be more versatile.

I agree that a more generic approach is needed.

> Sorry, this message is going beyond what I'd intended but if you're still
> with me I'll carry on :)
>
> How many people would be interested in free, open source development of
> generic multi-translation Newton-Desktop software? In addition how many
> people can program in C++ and would be willing to help? What sort of
> conversions would we be looking at? Would it be better to take this
> discussion off-line or to NewtonTalkers want to hear what's going on?
>
> Brad

later,
-tom

Tom Law