NTLK NTLK

From: Sunder (sunder@anon7b.sunder.net)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 17:38:35 EST

mcw wrote:

> Part of this can be designed in a ONE WAY move, where you treat the
> Newton as master and the desktop as slave. Hey, you keep your Newton
> with you all the time, right? Even at your desktop? I export data from
> the Newton in text form and then import it in a form that I like by
> using macros in Word (or your desired program, many of which are
> scriptable). That's how my Outlook has all my Notes in it, for
> example. It's a one way path, but it's a backup, that's all...

I would prefer going in both directions, thanks. There are times when I
want to send information back to my Newt.

> This exists, for a price, in the form of Freezeman from Stand Alone
> Inc. It's got issues, I've learned (I'm in the demo period), but it's
> pretty powerful. You create sets of icons, tap on either one of them
> or a separate icon to launch them all, close one and you close all.

Sweet! I'll look into it. Thanks for the pointer.

> Just as a point in here, check the language at the door when you say
> "they suck." Rather, say "They don't do what you would like them to
> do," which is more polite, don't you think?

I'm sure it is, but no thanks. I value my First Ammendment right to
freedom of speech. Kindy check your copy of the bill of rights. You will
find it lacks any sort of language to the effect of "except profanity, or
unpopular speech" It is precisely this kind of expression that needs
protection from censoring. I am an adult, expect me to use adult
language.

> There's always an issue of
> future clients demanding from much earlier programs things the
> programs weren't designed for (like new Sony machines or whatever).

Eh? How does profanity tie into lack of features?

> The Newton continues to deliver so much, but does it "suck" for not
> giving MP3? Not really...

The Newton isn't capable of MP3. It doesn't have the hardware for it.
Even if you were able to get a decoder for it done, it would be limited
to mono and limited to a very weak speaker.

I'm speaking of software, which unlike hardware is chageable. Just
because five years ago the state of the art isn't what it is today doesn't
mean we can't get today's state of the art written for the Newt. So
sorry, but "sucks" is the appropriate word. Feel free to contact me in
private as this is becoming off topic.

> Hope I haven't stepped on any toes with my comments here.

Not at all. :)

--
 + ^ +  Sunder              "Only someone completely distrustful of   /|\

****************************************** This NewtonTalk Message brought to you by:

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the Internet. Visit EVOTE.COM for all the latest news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!