Re: NTLK Wireless LAN... again

From: gopi@sloth.org
Date: Sun Mar 26 2000 - 18:57:40 EST

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000, Bill Davis wrote:
> I'm pretty sure you're mistaken about the Roamer being 802.11. But I'd
> LOVE to be proven wrong -- I have an AirPort! ;-) Once they get
> AppleTalk working over the software base station that runs on your Mac (I
> think only TCP/IP works at the moment) then I'd be able to do wireless
> NCU and everything, anywhere, with just my PowerBook and Newton and
> WaveLAN cards for each.

http://macworld.zdnet.com/1994/12/column/449.html

http://www.byte.com/art/9411/sec14/art2.htm

Bottom line is that, indeed, the Roamer is one of the first 802.11 2.4GHz
devices. They are no longer manufactured, and a search of Google produced
no hits that were for places sselling them. At a retail price of $700, I
doubt many were sold...

My next challenge will be to find out the card ID info for a current
Lucent card, and borrow one from a friend and test it in my mp2k...

If I fail with that tomorrow, I'll continue reading through the source of
various open-source wavelan drivers, and then move on to understanding
Apple's source code for the ne2000 ethernet driver and the core template,
and writing a new driver from scratch...
(Going to a school with WaveLAN everywhere make me intensely desire it :)

gopi.

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!