Re: NTLK PCMCIA Harddrive on Newton 2x00?

From: Gary Moody (gmoody@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 18:55:41 EST

Hi Ben (Gerhard?),

Nope, no workee!

The Newton doesn't even have a filesystem, much less a clue of what a hard
drive is.

The Newton's storage is known as "Persistent Memory Objects", and this is
why you can get to all of the data, all of the time, even by apps that
didn't create it. It's like having all of the data files constantly open,
even though the apps that created/manipulate the data are not open. One of
the most powerful and, at times like these, the most frustrating things
about the Newton architecture.

Even if it could be done (and, theoretically, it could with the Lantern DDK
and some *REAL* creative coding), there would be all sorts of
problems/issues. The Newton is expecting fast memory, encounters slow(er)
memory and times out, etc. UGLY!

So, sorry, it won't, can't, and will never work.

Regards,

Gary