Re: NTLK NTLK: Traveling in UK

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 14:50:00 EST

One thing you may also need to be aware of when using
your modem over seas (meaning anywhere other than the
US) Most other countries do not use a clean sine wave
for their dial-tone. Most modems don't have a problem
with this, but some do (most countries use a square
wave and the voltage isn't enough to indicate an
off-hook condition) So, what you may find you need to
do is you may need to tell the Newt to dial without
looking for a dial-tone...That worked for me last time
I travelled through Europe...I figured that heck, I
won't even bother to figure out which countries would
work and which wouldn't, so i left it on dial without
looking for a dialtone the entire trip, no matter
where I was...Worked every time (using a Newton 2000,
and a Simple 33.6 modem with phone adapter kit from
Simply wireless)
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Ian Murphy <imurphy@speakeasy.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am planning to travel to the UK later this year. I
> saw a pdf file showing
> a power adapter on eddie's site. Where do I get one
> of these. I also want to
> use my Megahertz modem card to check emails while
> there. Is there a phone
> adapter that I need?
> Any help is appreciated.

=====
this is a temporary sig file until I can figure out a more clever one to use

http://im.yahoo.com

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!