NTLK Sine of the Times software.

From: Stephen Beesley (sjbeesley@yahoo.com.au)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 23:46:57 EST

For the information of those Newton Talkers who do not
check out the Newton News groups this post might be of
interest. Particularly in light of the recent
discussion about Blue Print and the issue of software
licences generally.

Stephen Beesley

-------------------------------------

Just a series of emails here from a individual who
believes it is okay to
release copyrighted software publically.

Sine of the Times has closed its doors for business,
but that does *not*
mean we have released rights to our intellectual
property and our
software.

Ashish Mishra
Sine of the Times

----------------------
1st message: (Eckard)

carbon wrote:

> I would love to have registered/full versions of
PowerSet, ShowMate,
> and BluePrint from Sine of the Times, but they have
gone out of
> business and won't let me buy copies. Does anyone
know of a way to get
> this software? Thanks.

I would be willing to share my versions of both
PowerSet and BluePrint with
you in the case that nobody replies to my service
requests I sent them a
week before in the next month. I purchased them short
before they went off
business, and I don't think that a product left
unsupported is worth paying
the same price than before. So I feel that I paid too
much if there's no
support anymore, why shouldn't I give it away at no
cost?

For ShowMate, I don't own a version (but I liked to),
so I can't say
anything.

To give them a chance to answer their mail, I give
them a cc of this.

Eckard

----------------------
2nd message: (my reply)

> I would be willing to share my versions of both
PowerSet and BluePrint with
> you in the case that nobody replies to my service
requests I sent them a
> week before in the next month. I purchased them
short before they went off
> business, and I don't think that a product left
unsupported is worth paying
> the same price than before. So I feel that I paid
too much if there's no
> support anymore, why shouldn't I give it away at no
cost?

Because if you give it away at no cost, we can and
will press legal charges.

Just because software is not being sold anymore does
not mean we do not
retain full rights over it.

Please refrain from this kind of communication with
others.

BluePrint, PowerSet, and ShowMate will be re-released
for the Newton as soon
as the details are worked out.

Ashish Mishra
Sine of the Times

----------------------
3rd message: (Eckard)

Actually, I didn't give it away. As you read, I liked
to give you an
additional time slot for a response. So you responded,
I won't give them.

BTW, I sent you a support Request (ID 651) 2 or 3
weeks before and sometime
in february I can't recall, how about it? I'd need to
transfer data with
BluePort, but can't find out how. PLEASE, PLEASE give
me some hint.

The fact you didn't respond leads to the (incorrect)
assumption, you're
dropping Newton support.

If you have another support/contact email address,
please provide it to the
Newton community. I didn't want to destroy your
business, but felt a bit too
angry for bying your software in november and found no
support just 3 months
later.

So please excuse my angry mail.

Eckard

----------------------
4th message: (Eckard)

No, Ashish, I lied. I sent him the access information
for getting your
software I licensed from you. You have to get the
price of it at least once
from my credit card again (If you don't have it,
contact me agin, it's
correct and I'll give it to you, but send me some
email on this). I urged
him not to publish the information I provided. Hope
he'll do so. If not,
it's only my fault, and I'm responsible for that.

If you better like to call the lawyer on this, it'll
be also my problem. I
have to accept this. Do whatever you think of as the
best, independent of
what I wrote to you. Shame on me, but I don't think,
this statement is
enough to describe my failure at the point.

Excuse my bad english, but I'd hope you anderstand
both my former anger and
my situation.

Eckard

----------------------

If you're still reading this far, you might want to
know the conclusion.
Well there isn't one yet, except that Sine of the
Times will no longer do
business with this individual nor provide him support
in the future.

A number of you know us fairly well, and though we
have closed the doors
on our Newton business, many of you also know that we
plan to release our
packages free or as charity-ware in the future.

Please do not engage activities like the above
individual has, because it
seriosly damages our trust in the Newton community,
and simply makes us
think twice about releasing our software as a free
gift to the Newton
community as we have been planning.

Thanks for letting us vent,

Ash

Sine of the Times

http://www.yahoo.com.au/wedsite - The Wed Site
- Planning a wedding? Get all the help you need.

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!