Re: NTLK Emate card slot question

From: gopi@sloth.org
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 17:54:32 EST

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Robert Benschop wrote:
> >on 21-03-2000 1:03, joe at coatlicue@worldnet.att.net wrote:
> >Also, since it is a Type III slot, can the eMate handle external drives?
> There were never drivers developed for any type III cards AFAIK.

The primary issue isn't the form factor of the cards, it's the type of
control they use:
Newer flash memory cards, as well as (to the best of my knowledge) all
hard drive cards use ATA-style controls. The newton OS does not support
this.

The only type of data storage expansion cards supported are Intel Type II,
an older standard. Since nobody makes hard drives with this interface, you
can't use them.

ALso, of course, there would be the issue of power consumption...hard
drives soak up power...

gopi.

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!