RE: NTLK Newton RAM question

From: Humphreys, David (david.humphreys@honeywell.com)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 08:28:50 EST

Hi Joe,

Nice idea, but without a lot more hardware, it won't work.
Here is the simple? reason why:

A color display is really displaying two interconnected pieces of
information

Chromanance - the color of the pixel

Luminance - the brightness of the pixel

A grayscale image contains only luminance information and so a color image
cannot be constructed from the information.

Simply put, certain color values will have the same luminance value and
therefore will be impossible to map back to the original color because that
information is missing.

That is not to say that you can't COLORIZE a grayscale image, the colors
would just be false.

There are other technical issues that I won't bore you with.

Hope this helps,
David Humphreys
Honeywell Inc.