Re: NTLK Peanut Press - att: S Weyer!

From: Loren Finkelstein (Loren@Finkelstein.Net)
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 15:00:29 EST

on 3/18/00 6:29 AM, Steve Weyer at sweyer@bellatlantic.net wrote:

>> Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 12:07:59 -0500
>> From: Loren Finkelstein <Loren@Finkelstein.Net>
>>
>> Although Peanut Press has said they are no longer working on a Newton Port,
>> they were recently bought by Netlibrary. So, being the optimist that I am,
>> I send a request in to Netlibrary that they consider, if not a Newton port,
>> some form of txt or html versions of their products, making them available
>> to all platforms.
>>
>> The way I figure it, if they set up a secure site and you had to pay to get
>> to the html page with the text of the books, then anyone with a browser
>> could buy their books. Platform independent and they still get paid.
>>
>> Probably not as secure as what they have now, but it's a start.
>>
>> Anyway, perhaps if more people remind them that we are still a large
>> community of people with money to spend, there may be more e-books in our
>> future.
>

> it doesn't hurt to ask, though if by "secure site" you mean SSL encryption,
> then none of the Newton browsers (including Newt's Cape) support that at
> the moment...
>
> Steve

I don't really know what I meant. I guess I was thinking of something like
the New York Times site, that I can visit with Newt's Cape. I get prompted
for a password and then I am in. It doesn't really matter. It was just
wishful thinking anyway. :-)

Loren

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!