Re: NTLK Brainwipes

From: Loren Finkelstein (Loren@Finkelstein.Net)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 16:09:49 EST

> So, here's a question: How often do you do a brainwipe?

Whenever it occurs to me. Say every 4 or 5 months.

> I assume the purpose is to do a periodic "cleaning" of your internal store
> every so often in order to prevent fragmentation, increase speed, etc.

Yes

> What's the best procedure for doing a brainwipe? I usually:
> (1) Do a full back up to a card (or two, just to be safe)
> (2) Hard reset
> (3) Restore from card

The one thing you didn't mention is holding down the power button while
doing the hard reset, and then choosing yes when asked if you want to erase
all data.

I usually do a backup to my Mac, do another to a card. Restore the card to
my backup MP (a handy thing to have). Make sure everything is ok, then wipe
my primary MP and restore from the card to that one.

Multiple backup is a good thing.

> Am I doing this right? I always wondered if doing a complete restore from a
> card would somehow just "copy" the conditions that existed prior to the wipe
> (including any problems).

I think the key here is erasing all data between the backup and the restore.
I don't know what would happen if you just restored over what you have.
Some problems might still exist, but others will go away.

> T.M.
> (Who would be overjoyed if he could figure out why NCU constantly crashes
> during backups, forcing him to do all backups to a flash card.)

My NCU does the initial backup with no trouble, but crashes on additional
ones. So, I always rename the old backup first. This way, every time I do
a backup with NCU, it thinks it is the initial backup and does a complete
backup with no trouble at all.

Good luck,
Loren

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the