NTLK Help - My MP130 doesn't boot

From: Gruendel, Frank 3837 PPE-WT (Frank.Gruendel@de.heidelberg.com)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 05:27:17 EST

Hi,

recently my MP130 refused to turn on. I was able to fix this
by replacing the main batteries although I was pretty sure
this wasn't yet necessary (at that time I was in a seminar
and my main concern was to get that stupid thing going again).
The MP booted ok and I used it for about an hour.
Yesterday, two days later, the same thing happened. This time
I couldn't get the MP going and I had to apply my
fallback strategy, a good oldfashioned notepad and a pencil.
Quite embarassing ;-((
When I came home I did all the things I always recommend people
to do when they have this problem: Take out all batteries,
repeatedly press power switch, leave MP alone for a while etc.
This made it at least turn on again. Unfortunately, it turned
itself off again after about 5 seconds and didn't react to anything
(soft reset, hard reset). Again removing the power supply yielded
the same result: Turn on for some seconds, turn off and play dead.
I then folded a thin piece of cardboard and wrangled it between
power switch and case to keep the power switch down.
That way the MP rested until this morning when I tried it again.
This time, it booted longer (more like 10 seconds or so), but then
the screen again went blank and the MP didn't react to anything.
The 10 seconds are at least sufficient for a brain wipe (which the
MP obviously did as it now chimes when starting which it didn't do
before), but still the same problem. No matter what I do, the
screen goes blank after 10 seconds. Obviously the MP isn't really off
as I can still hear the whine it always does when it is on, but
no reaction whatsoever. No reset or brain wipe possible until the
power is removed again.
This can't be a problem of any package loading, as it happens just
the same when the MP is waiting for confirmation of the brain
wipe, not doing anything else.
If anyone could shed some light on this, I'd be more than thankful.
I'd also be thankful if someone could mail me the url for Dr. Newton's
homepage.
Fortunately I have a spare 130 and a fairly recent backup because
I have always been afraid something like this might happen, but
still I would like to get this thing going again.
As I'm on the digest version and thus wouldn't see any reply to
the list before next Monday, I'd appreciate your cc'ing both

Frank_Gruendel@t-online.de and Frank.Gruendel@de.heidelberg.com

in your reply.

Thanks, all

Frank