NTLK FW: newtontalk V1 #2

From: Meyer, Richard (RICHARD.F.MEYER@saic.com)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 11:20:36 EST

Brad asked about a package to synch w/ MS Outlook.

MOST DEFINITELY!

I have a dilemma. I am in a company that is Windoze dominated.
My search for a package to use on my MP100 to synch w/ Outlook has NOT been
fruitful.
Currently, I am trying to get a MP120 w/ OS 2.0 to try out Outlink.

The need for an application to allow Newtons to conect & synch w/ current
OS's & hardware is VITALLY important for us to keep our Newtons competative
w/ the 'other' PDA's.

We know that our Newton's ARE the best PDA ever made. We need to show the
rest of the world that they are. To do this, we need applications that will
make our Newtons function w/ the same applications as do the 'other' PDA's.

A Palm translater running on a Newton is a great idea. The access to a
wider range of currently available Palm software, as well as future
software, should be enough of a justification to look seriously at the
project.

The OTHER aspect of this disussion is to use the current Newton hardware
that we use everyday, & make it work w/ corporate & business applications
that drive industries.

A package that will allow me to not need a laptop & use my own Newton to
synch, send, recieve items via Outlook, or Eudora Pro, or QuickMail, .......
BRAVO!
It would show that a 'dead' technology (As I was told by a fellow IT person.
He'll never live that one down.) has a very strong viability in todays
inforation society/coutour.

It can beat up the Palm Pilots honor roll student.(Sorry, I couldn't resist
;))

Last week I posted a question to the group. I didn't get a digest until
Monday, so I'll ask the question again. (it pertains to the above rantings.)

On my desk are two workstations: a Mac 9600 w/ 8.1, & a Windoze PII 400 w/
Win2000 running as a test bed.

I can do most of what I want to do w/ my Newton on the Mac. (of course)Well,
except for Outlook. If you connect to an Exchange server for e-mail via a
Mac, that's all you get......e-mail. No shared calendar, no shared /public
anything. All items apear as e-mails - only.

On the PC, I could backup my Newton under OS NT4.0. Under Win2000, no way.
(should have known)

Has anyone looked @ how to run Newton applications under Win2000? It's new
enough, & different enough in structure that I'm temporaraly stumped.

Thanks for letting me rant & rave.

P.S. After scanning the rest of the digest, the topic of OS langage for a
new PDA product was brought up.

Yes, Palm ROM images are available to users to upgrade, just like FLASH BIOS
on PC's. Why not see if our group can gain access to the code for the Newton
OS's. Both 1.3 & 2.x flavors. By re-enginerring the code, the problems of
memory card size & type could be addressed. Communication protocal stacks
can be created to allow logins w/ all current forms: AppleTalk Networks,
TCP/IP, NT Domain Logins......

The solution may not be creating a whole new product, but taking what is
here & re-coding the OS to work better. Does Apple hold the OS code as
proprietary? Is it freely available to developers to see & maybe improve on
i.e. LINUX.

Richard F. Meyer
System Administrator/Training Developer
ASSET Group