Re: NTLK Ethernet Connection Cable

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 20:27:24 EST

<short answer>
YES

<long answer>
You need to have a cross over cable when you connect
two machines together using 10base-T networking. The
reason being is that 10baseT cabling requires two
pairs of twisted wire. An RX (receive) pair and a TX
(transmit) pair. The pairing is:
Pins 1 & 2 are the RX pair with 1=(+) and 2=(-)
Pins 3 & 6 are the TX pair with 3=(+) and 6=(-)
So this means that the RX pair on one connector that
goes to pins 1 & 2 must go to the TX pair on the other
connector (pins 3 & 6).
This is your standard cross-over configuration.
Basically, the transmit goes to the receive...

Ed
web/gadget guru

http://im.yahoo.com