Re: NTLK Advice: mp120

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 11:26:37 EST

gooddog@northshore.net wrote:

> Dear folks;
>
> I am considering a MP120 for my business partner who has never had a
> computer and wants something simple for organizing, etc. Given the prices
> of most 120's on the used/new market, this seems like a good bargain.
> What's the major difference between 120 and 130 in price and usability?
>
> Is the 120 very slow?
>
> She's an artist and isn't into computers for anything other than to be
> useful. She doesn't need a word processing device as she will soon have my
> old powerbook 1400 souped up with new innards. Can the 120 be used to check
> email on her AOL account?

The main differences between a 120 and a 130 are:

1. The 130 has almost 3 times the usable memory than a 120 has;
2. The 130 has a backlight screen, very handy in the dark.

Because of #1, the 130 seems to be a bit faster since more things can resides
in memory and are available when needed, as opposed to the 120 that needs to
swap bits of info in and out the heap.
Also because of #1, you'll be able to retrieve email from the Internet on a 130
much more quickly and reliably than on a 120, which can barely do it.

All IMHO, of course...

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin
Developer, Object Factory, Substrate Fannie Mae
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com
Fax: 703-833-7555 Usual disclaimers apply

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!