Re: NTLK Power to the Newton (Power supply and NCU with a MP110)

From: W.Lichtenberger (w_l@gmx.net)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 19:58:50 EST

At 14:48 01.03.00 +0100, you wrote:
[...]
>One thing i've realised so far is that the batteries don't last as long as
>i would like them to... I would like to know which adapter (Power suply)
>do i need to plug it to the wall. I guess Apple would have one, years to
>find and there should be an easier solution...

You _could_ in theory use any that fits the specification, but there was a
discussion here about PSs from Apple and other sources, and several wrote
that cheap ones deliver voltage above their own specs, which puts the Newt
supposedly in risk of frying or some such...
I understand this PS condition stems from poor (=cheap) regulation,
"compensated" by a bit extra voltage: "OK, so our volts drop too much while
in use. Let's not upgrade the regulation, let's just give it some more
volts!"

I'll cite from NEWTONTALK #222, Subject: Volts 'n Watts 'n stuff:
===================
I know it sounds pedantic, and I apologize for it. However, I'd hate it
if someone burned his Newton due to a typo. So...
[...]
>From volts and watts you can calculate the current you can expect to get out
of the adaper by the approximate formula current = watts / volts.

The power adapters of the 120/130 were 7,5 volts, 7 watts adapters. This
means you get 7 watts / 7,5 volts current out of them, i. e. 0.93 amperes.

The newton adapters of the MP2K series were 7,5 volts, 9 watts adapters.
This means you get 9 watts / 7,5 volts current out of them, i. e. 1.2 amperes.

The fact that they have both the same voltage is why you can use all
adapters with all Newtons. The fact that the MP2K adapter can deliver more
current is the reason why it takes longer to charge its rechargeables when
you use a 120/130 adapter.

So far, so good, but...

NEVER EVER USE ANY THIRD PARTY ADAPTER THAT DELIVERS MORE THAN 7.5 VOLTS.

With 9 volts you might have a small chance that your MP survives, but I
wouldn't
bet anything on that. With more, you will definitely burn your Newton.

This, by the way, is something you'd also need to take into account if you
want
to power your precious MP from a car cigarette lighter, solar panel etc.
===================
So if you *know* and *trust* a PS to give not more than that, you may use
it _at_your_Newts_risk_. Could work, though ;-)

>Other question is: I have installed the NCU 1.0 in a Powermac with system
>8.6 and it will only back my files up automatically as soon as i connect my
>Newton to it, and then break the connection. Is no way I can synchronize
>them, install pkgs, whatsoever. is it because the PPC uses MacOS8.6,
>because my Newton's got limited features or is it because the NCU is only
>version 1.0?

Sounds like AutoDock is enabled. Look for that in the Dock Applets
Configuration (from its [i] button). Never used that, though; so i'm not
sure if the connection break is normal for this.

Good luck!

regards,
-- Wolf Lichtenberger

about us at some time. Find out why at: