NTLK Finding net names?

From: Andrew Chen (a_s_c@compuserve.com)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 11:49:04 EST

I was wondering if there was something that would let the Names
application be enhanced by a finger/ph/cso server - so I could search
for "John Smith" in Names, and if he wasn't found, a designated
finger/ph/cso server would be contacted and he would be searched for
there, then I would be prompted if I wanted to add him in to my Names
soup.

Ideally we'd get them going for something like an on-line yellow
pages and then never have to look in the phone book and re-enter it
into our Newtons.

Coupled with the Company Card enhancement I've suggested, one could
envision "Find restaurants open now" going first through the Names
application and then going through the net names enhancement to
search on the Internet - likewise, the "schedule Wednesday lunch at
Thai restaurant" would first look in the Names application and then
go to a place on the Internet for a list of Thai restaurants in the
current location. Coupled with the TravelDate stationary (which can
be found on the PlanetNewton download section), it could find a Thai
restaurant in the location that you WILL be in at Wednesday's lunch
time.

Maybe I'm just dreaming, but it sounds like it shouldn't be that
difficult and I would love something like it.

Is there anything like this? Does anyone want to write something like
this? Do I have to become a programmer on the only platform that I've
only been just a user on in order to have something like this happen?
Is this even possible to have it integrate with the find/assist/names
applications like that?

--
Andrew

The Clinton Administration, the George Bush 2000 Campaign, and almost every other major U.S. politician has said something nasty about us at some time. Find out why at: http://www.evote.com