NTLK Re: IBM 1GB Microdrive

From: Stainless Steel Rat (ratinox@peorth.gweep.net)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 19:56:19 CDT

* Newton Links <newton@aviators.com> on Wed, 21 Jun 2000
| I read this little blurb about IBM Microdrive and was wondering if the ATA
| drivers will work with this kind of storage?

The problem with Microdrive is not drivers -- ATA is ATA is ATA is IDE.
The problem is physical size. CF Type II is the same thickness as PCMCIA
Type II, the size of the bays in Newton devices. A CF Type II to PCMCIA
adaptor shell must be able to physically hold the CF Type II card, which
means it needs to be a little thicker. CF Type I to PCMCIA Type II is
trivial, as is CF Type II to PCMCIA Type III, but CF Type II to PCMCIA Type
II might not be feasable.

Maybe someone clever, like SanDisk, will make a CFII to PCMCIA II adaptor.
I don't know if they will.

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Do not use Happy Fun Ball on concrete.
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \