NTLK Linux as proxy, need help

From: Michael Wittmann (mcw@wam.umd.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 09:55:14 CDT

Hi, all,

I have, for a variety of reason, added a fourth OS to my "playing," and
now need to connect two of them. I'd like to get NPDS working on my
Newton, and am trying to get Linux to act as a proxy. I heard this
worked...

When I go to the site "Newton and Linux mini-HOWTO" at

http://misf67.cern.ch/~reinhold/Newton/Newton_and_Linux-mini-HOWTO.html

it gives me a bit of information on what to do. Basically, run ppp on
Linux, set up the Newton correctly, and use NIE to connect the two. Sounds
pretty damn neat, to tell the truth.

I have done the Newton side of things, setting Internet Setup to the
given information. On the desktop, it tells me to make sure ppp is
running, then to run the given script as root...

Problem is, I'm honestly just playing with Linux, and have no idea what to
do with the whole command lines. It's been YEARS since I worked with Unix,
and I have forgotten absolutely everything.

Could someone send me an email, offline, to walk me through this? This
would be an idiot's guide for setting up Linux appropriately. If anyone
knows how best to do this, it would be a great help...

Necessary details:

Newton: MP2000, not upgraded. Running NIE 2.0, runs SimpleMail 3.3 and
Newtscape on a daily basis...

Desktop system: running Corel Linux (yes, I'm one of those who wants a
GUI and a hint of similarity to other computing systems he's used). Is it
possible to do what I'm trying to do without having to go into the command
line? I'd really rather avoid that...

Abilities of this author: questionable, so be pedantic and slow...

thanks to all those who might be able to help. My email address that I use
on newtontalk is mcw@wam.umd.edu, but I check my mail at
wittmann@physics.umd.edu more often, so if you send offlist, it's easier
to send to the physics address.

Michael Wittmann