Re: NTLK Long distance without the 1

From: Chris Ruprecht (chrup@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 18:48:42 CDT

>Is there a way to remove 1 from certain area codes using the newtons
>calling app? I have to hit assist an then scrub out the 1 every time I
>call a 918 number.

yes, there is a way - although a bit ugly.
Here in Dallas, we have 2 local area codes and we have 10 digit
dialing. I went and set up 2 workplaces, called "Home 972" and "Home
214", each with it's respective area code. Also, each has a dialing
prefix which is the same as the respective area code. So, when I'm
dialing a 214 number, I set it to dial from "Home 214". The Newton
drops the 214 as well as the '1' but puts the 214 prefix in fron - e
voila, it works just as I want it.

I do the same with international dialing codes, such as 10-10-xxx or the like.

Best regards,
Chris.

Chris Ruprecht
Network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre