Re: NTLK [semi OT] Filesystems specification

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 09:19:43 CDT

Paul Guyot wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I inserted the 16 megs compact flash card in a PowerBook (my
> Partner's G3), and it only accepted to format it as DOS.
> I guess I cannot make an Apple partition map to store the Newton
> stuff, at least with PCMCIA cards. Has anyone here used PCMCIA ATA
> cards in Apple laptops?
>
> Hence, the original plan which was to use Apple Partition map is to
> be forgotten. The trouble is that it was the only one I know, and I
> could have tried to use a Disk Image on my desktop (which doesn't eat
> PCMCIA cards).
>
> Hence my question: which partition map do you want, which filesystem
> do you want and where to find the according documentation?
>
> Anyway, the cards will accept at least two formats:
> a/ partitions as defined somewhere. Advantage: will allow foreign
> file systems (Gopi wants the Unix filesystem with the Standard
> Library, not sure it will be done by tomorrow, but anyway).
> Inconvenients: eats some sectors to declare partitions. One should
> ensure the foreign unfriendly computer will eat the card with a
> Newton (or several) partition.
> b/ Newton only card, with a minimum of one sector header.
> The header will act as a mini partition map for Newton stores
> (remember: the limit is 32 MB).

[snip!]

I would go with a Newton only card. Unless someone points me out something really useful as to have a foreign file system, I don't see how this could help the Newton. Besides, the only
place, personally, where I'm using PCMCIA cards are in my Newton and I can't expect anything that would change that.

Just my $0.02 worth...

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin
Developer, Adaptive Infrastructure, CIS Fannie Mae
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com