Re: NTLK names-like database?

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot@pnm-consulting.com)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 06:37:16 CDT

>I'm looking for a little (operative word, little) database program so I can
>schlepp my music catalog list around with me. Fields in it I'd like to see:
>
> Artist
> Title
> Format
> Own/want checkbox(es)
>
>It seems to me someone, somewhere must have developed something like this
>for the purposes of keeping a winecellar inventory, video tape catalog or
>such, which could be adapted to my purposes. Oh, and I'd much rather be able
>to import a text file than reenter all this data (I own enough CDs to hate
>the omen of all that data entery).
>
>Ideally, it would also have a little tab system at the top, like the
>overview of the Names app has (ie, "ab" "cd" "ef" "gh" etc.). Any
>suggestions?
>
>Heap on my MP120 is running a little low, so I don't want a big ol' app if I
>get get by with a small one.

NewtApplication is a framework on NOS 2.0. It is based on database
operation. Sure, it is more powerful than what you really need, but
since it is in the ROM, why won't you use it?

Assuming you have NOS 2.0, developping your database (except for
import) will take 2-4 days from an unexperimented programmer, 1/2-1
day for someone who already knows NewtApplication framework, since it
is *really* simple.

What you need to do the code:
a/ get NTK
b/ get the Newton Programmer's Guide & Reference

Where to start:
a/ read the Programmer's Guide:
chapters 1-3
First part of chapters 11,15,16,21

Everything is explained into chapter 4.
Read the About section
Get WhoOwesWhom sample (optional) which they are talking about. It
covers many stuffs you won't need immediatly. (there is also the
CheckBook section)
Go with the Using section. They'll guide you to make your first NewtApp.

In a nutshell, here is the development plan for such a software:
0/ read the first chapters.
(est. time: less than 5 hours)

a/ make a new NewtApp, as described in the doc. Specify the soup
definition, index.
b/ make a single stationery, as described in the doc. Choose card,
roll or page, but I guess card is the right solution.
c/ make the overview. (first, do a standard overview)
d/ Done all they said you should do? build the package and install
it. Check everything is right.
Eventually, change some aesthetic things.
(you are at this step in less than 3 hours)

(second day)
Now, the problem is the AZ-Tab and other personalization of the software.
You may want to use protoListPicker.
e/ read the doc concerning the AZ-Tab, and try to find out how to install it.
(I can't tell how long it will take, since I haven't done this. But
assuming the names application which is based on this framework do
this, it shouldn't be rather easy)

(third day)
Well, everything is fine: do the import stuff. Read the slurpee
manual, and try with some samples.

(fourth day)
Final aesthetic changes: maybe you'll want to change the about box,
the icon, etc.
Publish it on a website. Announce it on csna. Jakob will add it to
Newton Version.

In case of trouble:
post here or in csnp.

(btw, links are in the FAQ)