NTLK Fwd: Memory Loss

From: Kenny Song (kensong@pc.jaring.my)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 21:19:02 CDT

Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000
From: Simon Bell <simple@dial.pipex.com>

Kenny,

This thing isn't straightforward. I've tried receiving a bunch of messages, reading them with the Paper Stationery then deleting them, with no memory loss. Duplicating messages and NewtonWorks paper, then deleting them in random order does seem to end up with more memory used after than before, but it is restored after a soft reset. (I think this is temporary VBO data.)

I did a hard reset myself (the first time I _ever_ remember doing one - yes, really) and freed 444K on my 3.5MB internal store and 673K on my 16MB card. I don't know why there should be so much on the internal store - I _never_ store documents internally. I don't know why there should be realtively so little on the card, since I've done all my Paper development on that store.

If you can work out a reproducible sequence of actions that always loses memory it would be a great help.

Simon
Hi all,

Simon is trying to nail down the Memory loss experienced by using Simple Mail or more specifically Paper Stationery. If those of you who experience this, download and read lots of mails (NewtonTalk) on your Newton, please verify the loss. Also if you have deleted paper Stationery and is using Text Edit etc, please also confirm if it remedied the situation.

Thanks everyone.

Kenny Song
<Sent with Newton MP2100/SimpleMail/4.0