Re: NTLK Using a Stowaway Keyboard with a Newton

From: Grant [Stuck On The Grid] Hutchinson (grant@splorp.com)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 00:05:56 CDT

On 29/07/2000 12:07 AM Gopi <gopi@sloth.org> wrote:

>The Newton keyboard's format is quite unique, I believe - it bears no
>relation to ASCII or anything else. There are basically key up and key
>down events sent; most significant bit determines if it's an up or a
>down. It also, upon powerup, sends a string.

David Feitelberg <dfeitelberg@selfcare.com> found the protocol on the
LogicTools site. Thanks David! I believe this will help us. Even though I
can understand what the analyzed serial port data represents, it's quite
beyond me to program something like a driver to translate output from the
Stowaway into a stream that the Newton understands.

http://www.logictools.de/newton/keyboard/keyboard.html

>For a quick hack, conversting NewtKey would be the best thing to do. It's
>a simple and working keyboard driver designed for the old 1.x devices to
>use the (officially 2.0 only) keyboards. It could trivially be modified
>to work with any protocol keyboard, and I belive it works just fine with
>newer devices/ OSs.

Very cool! What do we need from the standpoint of the Stowaway in order
to establish its protocol? I will be posting as many technical docs and
support links to my site as I can find. Hopefully something in their
midst will give us this information.

http://www.splorp.com/newton/stowaway/

Grant

Grant Hutchinson Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996. http://www.splorp.com/
Now fortified with daily ramblings. http://www.splorp.com/blog/