Re: NTLK Using a Stowaway Keyboard with a Newton

From: Grant [Waxing Robotic] Hutchinson (grant@splorp.com)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 23:39:05 CDT

Michael J. Hussmann <michael@macmagazin.de> wrote:

>The slightly trickier part is the software you need to write -- a little
>extension that makes the Newton believe the Stowaway is really a Newton
>keyboard.

I know that there is generic keyboard recognition software written for
the Palm OS in order it to know when a Newton keyboard is attached, but
is this really necessary for the Newton? The Newton keyboard wasn't
released after the original couple of versions of the MessagePad, and it
just plugs and plays. Is keyboard support in a MessagePad relying on code
embedded in a certain version of the Newt OS?

>As far as I remember, someone on this list had already figured out the
>protocol used by the Newton keyboard.

Can anyone on the list recall the name of this person? Any additional
information will be useful. We _are_ going to get this puppy to work...

Grant

Grant Hutchinson Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996. http://www.splorp.com/
Now fortified with daily ramblings. http://www.splorp.com/blog/