re: NTLK Creating html for Newton

From: Steve Weyer (sweyer@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 11:07:30 CDT

>Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 00:19:47 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Mishka Gorodnitzky <misaka@pobox.com>
>To: newtontalk@planetnewton.com
>Subject: re: NTLK Creating html for Newton
>
>Gruendel, Frank 3837 PPE-WT writes:
>[...]
>] I'm under the impression that Steve Weyer's NewtScape can
>] create and view html documents _on_ the Newton, however, this
>] is not what I need. At least not at first.
>] The Java jdk documentation basically is
>] an assortment of html documents and heaps of gif files which
>] are organized into a pretty deep and nested folder structure.
>
> So the documentation is in the form of a bunch of HTML files that
>are linked together?
>

>] What I would like to do is to
>] create a document that can be browsed on the Newton just as it
>] can be browsed on my PC. I don't really care if it's html or newton
>] book or whatever else format as long as there are hyperlinks that
>] allow me to navigate through the document.
>] So what I probably need is a program that creates something from
>] the html docs I have on the PC that can be then loaded and used
>] on the Newton.
>
> I don't recall offhand how usefull Newton Press may be in this
>regard, I don't think I ever used it to turn HTML into NewtonBook
>files, maybe because it can't? One solution, perhaps not the best,
>would be to just cache the HTML pages onto your Newton and then use
>Newt's Cape to browse them while they are in your cache. Rendering
>HTML with Newt's Cape isn't too blazingly fast, but you can lock
>things into it's cache and browse back and forth between cached HTML
>documents.
>
> With Newt's Cape, you can create Newton Book which contain
>hyperlinks in them, but so far as I can tell these links won't lead
>you to another Newton Book, just to another HTML page, possibly out of
>your cache if it's there. My suggestion is grab whatever demo version
>of Newt's Cape is available, and see how acceptable the render time is
>for the pages you need rendered.

If don't know if there ever was a good HTML Claris XTND translator
available, for use with Newton Press (or BookMaker). So, doing this on the
desktop from HTML files wouldn't work easily (nor would you get links).

You could use Newt's Cape to do this, though it could be tedious
depending on how many separate files there are, and how well-behaved
the filenames and directory structure are. You could create
individual books for different "chapters", incorporating graphics etc.
You could then merge these together via a "master book" (a short HTML
doc in Notes or Newtworks that uses LINK to include each saved book package
in sequence;
this doesn't use much heap).
Hypertext links should work to other pages, including already saved books
(assuming filenames are unique, files in same directories, etc.).
If you don't have a lot of Newton heap, creating a large individual chapter,
or really master book with lots of chapters could be a problem; and of course
it can be slow. On the other hand, if this is for documentation that doesn't
change too frequently, it might be worth the effort to create book packages
since those open very quickly (don't need to be re-rendered) and could be
shared
with others.

Combining of saved book packages doesn't use much heap, but creating
a large chapter from HTM

Steve
weyer@kagi.com
NewtDevEnv, Newt's Cape, Sloup, Crypto,...
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~sweyer/newton/index.htm
http://www.kagi.com/weyer