NTLK Re - Creating html for Newton

From: Gruendel, Frank 3837 PPE-WT (Frank.Gruendel@de.heidelberg.com)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 05:27:00 CDT

Howdy,

thanks for the answers you sent so far. As I threatened, I'm the
very opposite of an html expert, so allow me to ask for further
clarification:

Robert wrote:

>> So what I probably need is a program that creates something from
>> the html docs I have on the PC that can be then loaded and used
>> on the Newton.

> Isn't that exactly what NewtScape can do for you ?
> View html pages, but more important, save them as a Newton Book.

This is true. What I believe will be a problem is that the html docs
on the PC are organized in a deeply nested folder structure. As far as
I know html puts this folder structure into the links, i. e. if I want
to get from page A in folder X to page B in folder Y the link in
folder A would look something like
<href="TheCompletePathToFolderB\B.html">
So (again, this is only what I think) to make this work on a Newton,
i. e. make it accessible to NewtScape, I'd have to create the same folder
structure on the Newton that I have on the PC. This is not possible,
as I only have 12 or so possible folder names on my 130 and nested folders
aren't possible at all.

Mishka Gorodnitzky then wrote...

> So the documentation is in the form of a bunch of HTML files that
> are linked together?

Right. Heaps of html files linked together and about 300 images in
gif format. I could live without the images, though.

>I don't recall offhand how usefull Newton Press may be in this
>regard,

I haven't ever used NewtonPress yet. Is it shareware/freeware, i. e.
can I try it out before I buy it?

> One solution, perhaps not the best,
> would be to just cache the HTML pages onto your Newton and then use
> Newt's Cape to browse them while they are in your cache.

Not sure what you mean by cache. I guess it would be possible to transfer
the html files as notes to the Newton, but as I said above, I think I
either need the same folder structure as on the PC or I'd have to change
every single link in all the html files.

> My suggestion is grab whatever demo version
> of Newt's Cape is available, and see how acceptable the render time is
> for the pages you need rendered.

Not sure if that would help me. It would if NewtScape wouldn't expect the
same folder structure as my PC browser to make the links work, but I'm
afraid I couldn't view it with NewtScape if I just put all html's into
one huge folder. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'd be happy if I was.

Thanks again

Frank