re: NTLK Creating html for Newton

From: Mishka Gorodnitzky (misaka@pobox.com)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 23:19:47 CDT

Gruendel, Frank 3837 PPE-WT writes:
[...]
] I'm under the impression that Steve Weyer's NewtScape can
] create and view html documents _on_ the Newton, however, this
] is not what I need. At least not at first.
] The Java jdk documentation basically is
] an assortment of html documents and heaps of gif files which
] are organized into a pretty deep and nested folder structure.

     So the documentation is in the form of a bunch of HTML files that
are linked together?

] What I would like to do is to
] create a document that can be browsed on the Newton just as it
] can be browsed on my PC. I don't really care if it's html or newton
] book or whatever else format as long as there are hyperlinks that
] allow me to navigate through the document.
] So what I probably need is a program that creates something from
] the html docs I have on the PC that can be then loaded and used
] on the Newton.

      I don't recall offhand how usefull Newton Press may be in this
regard, I don't think I ever used it to turn HTML into NewtonBook
files, maybe because it can't? One solution, perhaps not the best,
would be to just cache the HTML pages onto your Newton and then use
Newt's Cape to browse them while they are in your cache. Rendering
HTML with Newt's Cape isn't too blazingly fast, but you can lock
things into it's cache and browse back and forth between cached HTML
documents.

     With Newt's Cape, you can create Newton Book which contain
hyperlinks in them, but so far as I can tell these links won't lead
you to another Newton Book, just to another HTML page, possibly out of
your cache if it's there. My suggestion is grab whatever demo version
of Newt's Cape is available, and see how acceptable the render time is
for the pages you need rendered.

-- Mishka