Re: NTLK Re: Synching with Palm Desktop - Bill, help!

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 00:35:46 CDT

On 7/24/00 8:41 AM, Jerry Tom [mailto:jerrytommygal@hotmail.com] wrote:

>Hi Bill,
>May you please give us a brief tutorial on synching with Palm Desktop using
>NCU?

Sorry, no. It's been over a year since I did it, myself. I don't have
the time to mess around with it again right now so I could give you a
step-by-step.

Instead, read back thru the NewtonTalk archives at www.chuma.org/newton/
for previous message threads on it. There have been plenty. Also, I
think I recall posting a link to a step-by-step article someone wrote
about it on my Info-Newt site. Use the search engine. Let me know if you
can't find it.

Also check the FAQ while you are there for Palm Desktop or Claris
Organizer.

Note:Even after you get it working, there may be a lot of data cleanup
work to be done; PD and the Palm are VERY limited compared to your
Newton, especially in the Notepad (no stationery) and the Address book
(very limited # of fields in PD/CO compared to Newton, and the Palm
itself is even more limted than PD/CO.)

One thing: make sure that on sync you always set it so that the NEWTON
wins. And ALWAYS make TWO NCU backups of your data - FULL backups, not
incremental, then move the backup files elsewhere BEFORE you sync. At
least until you get the process down pat and your data cleaned up AND you
know the limitations of PD so you can avoid them in your Newton data.

>Would using Palm Desktop for Windows be any different?

Oh yes! They are completely different products. PD for Mac is a
renamed version of Claris Organizer 2.0. PD for Windows is NOT Claris
Organizer.

NCU doesn't support it on Windows.

If you have a Windows machine, you're out of luck.

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = GOT A NEWTON QUESTION? Visit: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/