Re: NTLK MP3 decoding chip?

From: Hans Johnson (Strider@apexmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 02:16:47 CDT

>Hi,
>
>Somebody mentioned seeing an MP3 hardware decoder chip with a serial
>interface. Just wondering if any more info could be provided? With the
>upcoming ATA drivers, it seems like there could be some usefulness to good
>quality Newton audio. 16 bit 44.1kHz stereo is around 1.4Mbps, with the
>serial ports specced at 2Mbps max. I don't know if that would be
>practical, though 12 bit / 32kHz is half that and may be decent...

FYI: you don't need to send the data to the chip at 2Mbit.. since
most mp3's max out at 192 kbit, the standard 230.4kbit RS 232 would
be more then adequate.

I'm actually looking at designing a unit to do this.. my plans
include using a Microcontroller to handle the RS 232 and
comunications with the MP3 DSP, the MP3 DSP, and a DAC. Ideally what
I'd like to do is wire the second serial port on my newton internally
to the battery sled, get a pair of AA sized Lithium Ion batteries,
put them in one half of the battery sled, and put the mp3 decoder in
the other half of the battery sled, with a hole for the headphone
jack drilled in the side. This should be workable, since Lithium Ion
AAs are around 3+ V each, and appear to carry twice as much power as
the equivalent NiMh.

Regards,

Hans