NTLK Re: Printer port Being used by another application

From: markr13 (markr13@voicenet.com)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 20:21:49 CDT

>Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 00:06:05 +0000
>From: Jack Mordoj <jmordoj@rdc.cl>
>Subject: Printer port Beeing used by another aplication

>I have a Performa 475 with System 8.1
>
>I can't use NCU/NBU because it says that my printer port is Beeing used
>by another aplication...
>

>If I use NCU/NBU with the modem port, it woks fine, but then I can't use
>the modem, because If I install the modem in the printer port, I can
>hear the program trying to use the printer port and disturbing the
>modem, so it's imposible to use that port.
>

>How do I find out what aplicatio in using that port??
>
>How do I close that conecton??
>
>ANY Ideas???
>
>Jack Mordoj(Macfan)

Jack-

Typically, this means that you have either Appletalk or an application
set to that port. Check the Appletalk control panel and see if it is set
for the printer port. If you are not using Appletalk, you can turn it
off in the Chooser. Other apps that can tie up the port are the Palm
serial port listener or some other serial port device driver. Usually,
these apps are faceless background applications, so they don't show up in
the applications list. One application that is useful here is called
"Peek-a-Boo" which lists all running applications. You can find it here
<http://www.clarkwoodsoftware.com/peekaboo/>. Check the list it
generates for something that looks like the guilty party.

Mark Ross
markr13@voicenet.com