Re: NTLK Newton Jaggies

From: Bill Davis (billdavis@info-newt.com)
Date: Sun Jul 16 2000 - 00:20:40 CDT

On 7/15/00 6:24 PM, Michael Manthey
[mailto:Michael_Manthey@MagicVillage.de] wrote:

>>As for most of us, I know we have never seen the jaggies and I
>>suspect most people don't either.
>
>Not quite correct. I have 5 Newtons and I've seen them on each and every
>one of them, if only occasionally. There could be several reasons: software
>conflicts, weak batteries, in one instance (my 6th MP that I gave back) it
>seemed to be caused by a defective screen, but Apple repaired the screen
>and the jaggies remained, so the retailer and I came to the conclusion that
>it had to do with the ROM.
>
>Michael

He said "most" not "all.

Sorry to hear about your problems, but I've experienced just the
opposite. I currently have 4 Newtons (OMP/MP100, MP130, U2000 and 2100)
and have owned a total of 5 different models (a 120 I no longer have)
since 1993, and all the upgrades Apple offered....and have NEVER ever
seen the jaggies on any of them.

I don't think most of the people on this list have either. The question
comes up occasionally, but very seldom. Perhaps a 10 or 20 people out of
the several thousand who have been on this list. That's a pretty low
percentage. And many if not most of those find it is grit around the
edges of the screen that can be cleaned out. The number of folks on
this list with a nagging, persistent jaggies problem on multiple Newton
models seems to be EXTREMELY low. I doubt VERY much it has anything to
do with the ROM, therefore.

I think it's more a condition or combination of the USER's working
environment or methods (grit in the work environment, how you hold the
unit or place your hand on the newton and put pressure on the case, etc,
etc.)

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = GOT A NEWTON QUESTION? Visit: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/