Re: NTLK Tactile ChatBuddy

From: Brian McEwen (brian@bmcewen.cvm.okstate.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2000 - 17:41:22 CDT

I don't use Aloha, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong,,,,

IF you are using Aloha to read your AOL email on your Newton (are you?):

Unless you are using an AOL client 3.0 or higher (which Aloha is _not_,
BTW, 2.7 is as good as it gets) you don't have the standard TCP/IP "hooks"
available for other clients to utilize- based on the desktop clients. I
don't know if this is a limitation of the 2.7 software (on desktop PCs or
Newtons) or on the server side, but I would guess both.

Try it if you like, but I've never heard of anyone using any standard
network client (ftp, mail, web browsing, etc) while connected via Aloha
(any version) and I do not believe it is possible for the reasons I mention
above.

You will have to use a real ISP with standard NIE 1.1 or 2.0 on the MP, and
standard PPP being provided by the ISP, to make any normal internet client
software work.

FreeInet.com is the one freeISP left that I have tested with my Newton, and
would perhaps let you play with the chat clients (although it seemd they
regulate outgoing traffic, so might block IRC- I have no idea, but reading
their FAQ before beating your head against the wall trying to get an IRC
client to work might be a good plan!)

Brian