NTLK Re: Re: GIF format (slightly off topic)

From: markr13 (markr13@voicenet.com)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2000 - 14:13:50 CDT

>Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 13:20:28 +0200
>From: "Pascal Massun" <pascal.massun@skynet.be>
>To: "Newton Tlk" <newtontalk@planetnewton.com>
>Subject: Re: GIF format (slightly off topic)
>
>Bradley wrote
>"Slightly Off Topic now:-
>
>Also, like you, I've recently been converted to apple since having my
>Newton. The Pentium Pro went about a month back and an Apple Powerbook 520c
>arrived. Nice, but too slow. The Powerbook has now gone and I have an
>original iMac. I was concerned initially at the 233MHz speed and only 32MB
>ram but it word processes and surfs the 'net quicker than my 450MHz PIII at
>work and that's got 256MB ram! I have another 128 MB ram on the way so I can
>run MacOS 9. Oh yes, I'm definately an Apple convert now!"
>
>Nice to know. I guess that an iBook for me shouldn't be a problem then.
>Only question is: do I buy it now or wait until the fab MACOS X is out.
>

>Pascal Mass¸n @ Oostende.Belgium

I would at least wait until after MacWorld, next week. The iBook is due
for a rev, but the rumors boards suggest that it won't happen until the
fall. As for OS-X, I wouldn't worry about it. OS-X will have some nice
features, but the vast majority of software will still run under the
"Classic" OS mode until they are rewritten or carbonized, so the benefits
of OS-X will be lost. Of course, NCU will always be "Classic" software
and will never work as a native OS-X app. Those of us Mac users who
lived though the 68X00-->Power PC transition can tell you that took at
least 3 years for software to all go native.

Mark Ross
markr13@voicenet.com