Re: NTLK 2 serial ports?

From: gopi@sloth.org
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 22:06:55 CDT

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Alex Browne wrote:

> Is there any way to (a)double the serial port on an (MP2k) or (b) add
> a second serial port (to an MP2k)? That way the 'physical' keyboard
> could be used while using the serial port for other applications
> (useful with a terminal emulator, I would think,)

There are two solutions.

You can get a PCMCIA serial card - the Socket Communications cards are
reported to work, and sell for aorund $100 I believe, but I may be
off. OF course they take a PCMCIA slot. I don't think the two port cards
work.

The other option is related to the fact that your Newton already has two
serial ports. It has an internal modem connector that is for another
serial port. Also, the Interconnect port has the same pins wired to it.

FOr this to work, you need more hardware. There's some circuitry needed
for this to function. Basically serial driver chips are needed. For the
electronically skilled, the design is pretty easy. Making one is more
challenging of course...

Also, some software side work is needed to get software to use that port,
but it's pretty easy; I managed to convince Newton Internet Enabler to use
the other port by manually changing configurations...

Hope this helps a bit.

gopi.