Re: NTLK FW: Deep discharging NiCd's

From: NewtonOz (newtonoz@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Jul 09 2000 - 19:38:13 CDT

Your eM@il from Frank.Gruendel@de.heidelberg.com on 7/5/00 5:39 AM said
this:

>This is correct. However, this kind of deep discharge needs to be done the
>right way. You have to monitor the voltage, and, even more important, the
>current to stop deep discharge before the cell changes polarity. You have
>to do this veeeery slowly (like 3 or more hours to get from 1.0 to 0.6
>volts).
>No affordable charger I know can do this, and unless you can do so under
>laboratory conditions I'd recommend not to try.
>Easier and cheaper is correct charging (pulse and reverse charging). These
>chargers are around $100 in Germany and can even recondition cells to a
>certain extent. They beat the Newton's charge technology hands down (which
>isn't
>exactly difficult) and are about the best price-performance ratio you can
>get
>these days when using rechargeables. My experience with 30+ rechargeables I
>use on a regular basis is that when you use this kind of chargers, you won't
>have to worry much about all this as the batteries hardly lose capacity.
>
>Just my $0.02
>
>Frank

In the United States, there are several battery chargers that do this
discharge sequence correctly. Fortunately, they are only about $40 to $60
here, with capacities of 4 to 8 cells, respectively.

With the modern batteries, you'll find that when the capacity of the
batteries goes, the whole cell is going to go soon anyway. Remember to
recycle your cells!!!

-Oz
of NewtonOz

-The Folks at NewtonOz Items